There are times when talking through with another person who offers a Safe Space can be helpful.
Someone who will keep what is discussed confidential and has a theoretical framework of mind and interactions.
Can help with breaking out of difficult feelings and patterns of behaviour.
– A place to explore deep feelings and thoughts which might not be safe or appropriate to explore elsewhere.
– Shame inducing, half formed / part conscious thoughts which might not be safe or appropriate to explore elsewhere.
– Psychotherapist / Counsellor can reflect back thoughts and feelings.
– This can help the client untangle thoughts & feelings and see patterns and connections.
– Bring more of the unconscious into awareness.
– Once people are aware of inner process more options become available.
– With options come the understanding that these patterns or familiar situations are not inevitable.
Objective: Be more ourselves and address issues that stop us.
– Residual confused thinking or feelings
– Defensive patterns adopted in response to trauma